Sunday, February 5, 2012

Upper Perth River - West Coast, NZ

We got lucky AGAIN! Barny and I have been talking about how fortunate we have been this year with flows, weather, crew, time off and all the other logistical issues. This time we were pushing it but still got the result. Unsure of what we were going to paddle, Barny and I were throwing around ideas about T-Canyon, a bomb down the Kokatahi or even a sneaky Waitaha. Simon Rutherford was keen and ready to rally from Blenheim when he got the call... Barns consulted the oracle ( and got a weather prediction, things had a bit of water and we all had plenty of time off, so it made sense to can the rest and head for the best! The Upper Perth! Except it was 10pm, old Razz was still in Blenheim, I was now required to do the morning milking and Barny was Barny. All good though we'll just get a late flight...??!! So day one started early for me and Razz, I had to go to work at 4.45am and Razz started driving south at 6am. Razz picked me up at 10am, Barny booked a chopper and collected our new Tuna's from the freight company. Collecting barny just after 11am we rallied to Hokitika for the food-shop and then continued south, after visiting the Bakery of course. Making pretty good time I finally asked Barny what time we had the chopper booked for... 2pm, which is damn late if you are lucky enough to fly right to the top. With a lack of cell service and motivation we decided we'll just fly a little way up.... but thinking back, we were never going to do that!

Boys gearing up by the Lanny (p. Jordy)
And thats only day two (p. Barny)

2.20pm and way up the top! (p. Barny)

If you havent seen this, you havent been
to the top. (p. Jordy)

Me trying to hold back the Blue-Fin
Tuna!!! (p. Barny)

West is Best (p. Jordy)

Vista's (p. Jordy)

Just another day on the river with the boys'ies
(p. Jordy)

Barns and Razza floating towards Scone Hut
(p. Jordy)

After arriving at the hut in about 4 hours, which is really quick, we were ready for some food, rehydration and shit-talk until the fire burnt out. We were lucky enough to have the hut to ourselves and it was so hot we slept with the hut door open for a good part of the night!

As written (p. Barny)

Day two is a treat. Steep boulder-gardens that Barny and I remember, or just make up as we go, and a few biggies to keep you on your toes. Amazingly the run from top to bottom has hardly changed considering the amount of sediment that was deposited at the Perth - Scone confluence and is now gone. Both days were overcast which was probably the only downside of the trip.... and you know if must have been a good trip if cloud cover is the only complaint!

We stopped for a photo??!! (p. Barny)

Razza and me having a moment (p. Barny)

Razz holding on to the mob-express! (p. Jordy)

And it keeps going (p. Jordy)

One, two... for safety ay (p. Jordy)

Sweet way to skirt the Weir (p. Barny)

The new Tuna, sporting a bump on the nose from a
big manky one on day one (p. Barny)

Barny on the final drop... or is it, I couldn't
remember... (p. Jordy)

The trip was awesome and after a lazy day two start time of 11am, we were off the water around 3:30pm. With it being Saturday night and all we figured it would be a good chance to have a proper trip 'debrief', and although Barny advocated strongly for a us to return to Greymouth and head to the Razza... It was Razza himself that made the bold decision to turn left and head down to the infamous Franny J (Franz Joseph)... the rest is history!

Not the normal choice, but the price was right! (p. Jordy)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Barny's changing Jordy...wanting to go home to grey instead of a night at Fanny J''s the beginning of the end mate, ya better keep an eye on it! Pretty soon he'll join the club!