Thursday, June 3, 2010
What a run! After hearing reviews like 'the hardest run in cali' and 'some of the stoutest white-water you'll ever see' we were always interested in trying to bag this seldom run gem, but with dubious flows and little beta we didnt actually think it would come into fruition... we were wrong. While enjoying some whisky at the plush accomodation of 'The Ranch', Barny and I were getting onto logistics for the Summit Run section of the South Yuba. Phones calls, txts and checking flows... things were coming together. Out of the blue someone suggested we think about Yuba Gap and after calling around we got the put-in and take-out information but still had an issue with shuttle and there was only two of us. Fortunately Shannon Carrol's name arose, who was eager to get ANOTHER run down this season. So the plan was set, 10am meeting at the Route 20 and Washington Road corner... it would of probably been smarter to slow down on the Whisky... nah! Here are some photos of this stout run.
- Barny on the first drop of the day (P. Jordy)
- Shannon on the 'hour glass slide' (P. Jordy)
- Barny firing the big one (P. Jordy)
- The view of me running the monster from the bottom (P. Barny)
- Lining up the next drop below the slide (P. Barny)
- Me running a seldom run double drop (P. Barny)
- Shannon boofing off a clean drop (P. Jordy)
- Barny running a clean 15 footer (P. Jordy)
All this and a LOT more was before lunch, also during this time we noticed there was an increasing amount of water in the river. We later found out that the 230cfs we put on at rose to almost 600! After some well needed snacks, stretching and relaxing in the sun we put back on for some more solid white-water at a much higher level.
- Shannon soaking it in (P. Jordy)
- Barny preparing for the next four hours (P. Jordy)
- Barny running the slide after lunch... high water (P. Jordy)
- Shannon firing it up (P. Jordy)
- Me coming through the bottom (P. Barny)
- Me boofing clear (P. Barny)
- Shannon and Barny routing a big slide (P. Jordy)
- Barny running a sick 25 footer (P. Jordy)
- Barny's perspective of me running the 25 footer (P. Barny)
This was a sick mission with so much white-water that it blurs the memory. It was a long day even though we had Shannon who knows the run well and without a 'guide' I would think it would take a minimum of 8 hours. We are hoping to get on this again but for today we'll have a rest. Chur.